Plants at a Surgery Desk

Accessibility Information

We want to get better at communicating with our patients. We want to make sure you can read and understand the information we send you. If you find it hard to read our letters or if you need someone to support you at appointments, please let us know.

We want to know if you need information in braille, large print or easy read. We want to know if you need a British Sign Language interpreter or advocate.

Website Accessibility Information

Our website pages are designed so that you can change the style, size and colour of the font used, as well as the background colour. If you wish to do so, please see the guides below.

Customise settings in:

Further help

If you:

  • Have problems seeing the screen
  • Find it difficult to use the mouse or keyboard
  • Need help with language or reading websites

then we recommend you visit the BBC website My Web My Way, which provides advice on how to make your computer easier to use, whether you are a Windows, Mac or Linux user.

Domestic Abuse

banner reading are you worried about domestic or sexual abuse

GP Net Earnings

All GP practices are required to declare the mean earnings (eg average) for GPs working to deliver NHS servicesto patients at each practice.

The average pay for GPs working at the OLD COURTHOUSE SURGERY in the last financial year before tax and national insurance is £113,211

This is for 2 full time GPs and 3 part time GPs who worked in the practice for more than 6 months.

It should be noted that the prescribed method for calculating earnings is potentially misleading because

it takes no account of how much time doctors spend working in the practice, and should not be used to form

any judgement about GP earnings, nor to make any comparison with any other practice

Minor Illness Medication

Named GP

All GP surgeries are required by the Government under the terms of the latest GP contract to allocate all patients a named accountable GP.

You will therefore have been allocated a named accountable GP who will be responsible for your overall care.  This will be one of our GP’s mentioned in the Practice Staff section. (You can book appointments with any GP).

If you have a preference as to which GP you are allocated, the Practice will make reasonable efforts to accommodate your request. If you wish to know which GP has been allocated to you, please ask Reception at your next visit.


The NHS employs over a million staff in thousands of locations. It is a large and complex organisation providing a broad range of services. It is not surprising that sometimes you or a loved one may feel bewildered or concerned when using the NHS. And this can be at times when you are feeling at your most vulnerable and anxious.

So, what should you do if you want on the spot help when using the health service? The NHS expects all members of staff to listen and respond to you to the best of their ability. But sometimes, you may wish to talk to someone employed especially to help you. The Patient Advice and Liaison Service, known as PALS, has been introduced to ensure that the NHS listens to patients, their relatives, carers and friends, and answers their questions and resolves their concerns as quickly as possible.

PALS also helps the NHS to improve services by listening to what matters to patients and their loved ones and making changes, when appropriate.

What does PALS do?

In particular, PALS will:

  • Provide you with information about the NHS and help you with any other health-related enquiry
  • Help resolve concerns or problems when you are using the NHS
  • Provide information about the NHS complaints procedure and how to get independent help if you decide you may want to make a complaint
  • Provide you with information and help introduce you to agencies and support groups outside the NHS
  • Inform you about how you can get more involved in your own healthcare and the NHS locally
  • Improve the NHS by listening to your concerns, suggestions and experiences and ensuring that people who design and manage services are aware of the issues you raise
  • Provide an early warning system for NHS Trusts and monitoring bodies by identifying problems or gaps in services and reporting them.

Find out more

If you would like more information about PALS, the functions it is intended to provide and the standards it should strive to achieve.  You can contact PALS on 0800 368 0412 or email

Research Practice

We regularly participate in research studies that have been approved by the National Institute for Health Research (NiHR) and which have Ethical Approval.

You may be contacted by the practice from time to time, asking if you would like to participate in a research study. All studies are approved by the GPs in the practice. You will always have the opportunity to discuss any study with your GP and are under no obligation to participate. You have the right to let us know if you would prefer not to be contacted for research purposes, please let the practice know if this is the case.

Health research is important, it allows individuals to share their experience of specific diseases and healthcare, and it helps with the development of new technology and treatments to improve the future health and treatment of the wider population.

For more information about health research, please follow this link to the Health Research Authority:

Self-Certificate – This is the link to download a self-certificate.  You need to use this for the first week of sickness.

Sexual Health Clinics

If you need to attend a sexual health clinic.  Please click the link below.

Summary Care Record

There is a new Central NHS Computer System called the Summary Care Record (SCR). The Summary Care Record is meant to help emergency doctors and nurses help you when you contact them when the surgery is closed. Initially, it will contain just your medications and allergies.

Later on as the central NHS computer system develops, (known as the ‘Summary Care Record’ – SCR), other staff who work in the NHS will be able to access it along with information from hospitals, out of hours services, and specialists letters that may be added as well.

Your information will be extracted from practices such as ours and held on central NHS databases.

As with all new systems there are pros and cons to think about. When you speak to an emergency doctor you might overlook something that is important and if they have access to your medical record it might avoid mistakes or problems, although even then, you should be asked to give your consent each time a member of NHS Staff wishes to access your record, unless you are medically unable to do so.

On the other hand, you may have strong views about sharing your personal information and wish to keep your information at the level of this practice. Connecting for Health (CfH), the government agency responsible for the Summary Care Record have agreed with doctors’ leaders that new patients registering with this practice should be able to decide whether or not their information is uploaded to the Central NHS Computer System.

For existing patients it is different in that it is assumed that you want your record uploaded to the Central NHS Computer System unless you actively opt out.

For further information visit the HSCIC Website

If you choose to opt out of the scheme, then you will need to complete a form and bring it along to the surgery.

Useful Contacts and Self-Referrals


Barnet Hospital                           0845 111 4000
Chase Farm Hospital0845111  4000
Edgware Community Hospital0208 952 2381
Finchley Memorial Hospital0208 349 6300
Royal Free Hospital0207 794 0500
District Nurses 03000200655
Barnet Primary Care Trust0208 349 7000
PALS for barnet hospital0208 216 4600
PALS for barnet hospital0208 216 4600
CLCH PALS0208 216 4600


Boots (Barnet)0208 449 0055
Parry Jones0208 449 0169
Wilkinsons0208 449 6159
Mountfords (East Barnet)0208 449 0260
Prima (Barnet)0208 449 8288
Greenfield0208 449 0708
Boots (Whetstone)0208 343 8596




Barnet Drug and AlcoholService (BDAS)                      0208 200 9525                 
Barnet Bereavement Project0208 441 3572
Barnet Primary Care Trust0208 201 4700
Barnet House for housing/bluebadge etc0208 359 2000
Benefits Agency0208 732 6000
BarnDoc03000 333 777
Barnet Carers0208 343 9698
Relate0208 447 8101
Samaritans0845 790 9090
Pregnancy Advisory Service0207 637 8962
Vale Drive Clinic0208 447 3500